Thursday, July 31, 2014

In a way I can relate to Leonardo (not the genius part, that would be incredibly cavilier of myself)


Home DA VINCI Leonardo da Vinci Timeline MICHELANGELO Index of The Best Artists the fighter dvd posts on Michelangelo’s works Michelangelo Timeline Michelangelo Biography Michelangelo Stories Michelangelo’s Character and Education Michelangelo’s Carving Technique Michelangelo and Other Artists Michelangelo’s Duelling Biographers the fighter dvd Michelangelo Sources 10 ARTISTS PICASSO VELAZQUEZ GOYA BERNINI 10 MORE Van Gogh VERMEER PAINTING THE GREEKS More Greeks SCULPTURE the fighter dvd Sculpture and Carving 2 This Little Dog BEAUTY the fighter dvd
That showdown actually took place. The mayor of Florence commissioned the paintings (frescoes) from Michelangelo Buonarroti and Leonardo da Vinci. They were each told to paint a scene from the history of Florence on one of the walls of the Council Room of the Town Hall.
Expectation ran high. Of course neither of the artists allowed anyone to see what he was doing while he worked at home. Of the two, Michelangelo must have been the more worried. Leonardo was a generation older and had established his reputation. Michelangelo grew up hearing about Leonardo’s genius was he jealous? His biographers speak of his dislike for Leonardo. Leonardo was also an experienced painter and Michelangelo had painted very little so far. He had never painted in fresco. He was a sculptor.
Officially, neither genius, because Michelangelo never painted his fresco and Leonardo ruined his. However, copies of Michelangelo’s preparatory drawing the fighter dvd (cartoon) and of Leonardo’s fresco have survived and give us a fair idea of what each man would have painted. Here is Michelangelo’s (after an old copy):
He chose a scene of a famous battle between the Florentines and the Pisans. The soldiers were bathing in the Arno River when the call to arms was sounded and they had to dress and arm themselves in a hurry.
This entry was posted in art , art history , fresco painting , great artists , Leonardo da Vinci , Michelangelo , Renaissance and tagged battles , best painter , contest , Florence , frescoes the fighter dvd , Leonardo da Vinci , Michelangelo . Bookmark the permalink .
Well, if I were on that committee the fighter dvd doing the choosing, I would have chosen Leonardo’s, hands down. I saw Micaelangelo’s first and looked at it carefully for a full minute or two. I didn’t dislike the fighter dvd it, but thought it was quite provocative, and I wondered what some of the figures were “doing.” Then I saw Leonardo’s picture, and it only two me about two seconds of seeing that to make up my mind definitively.
Not only was it more visually striking (to me personally), it also seems much more APPROPRIATE for a public works project. (The figures are DRESSED, and not so provocative-looking, for one thing.) I have no doubt the committee would have thought so, too! This choice of Michaelangelo’s really the fighter dvd seems to support what you said in a previous post about his being a “show-off!”
In a way I can relate to Leonardo (not the genius part, that would be incredibly cavilier of myself) because he was extremely curious, the fighter dvd and loved experimenting. The natural world absolutely fascinated him. One of his notebooks (Codex Alanticus) is mainly composed of his sketches water related. He had been fascinated by the force when he saw a huge storm as a little boy. It fascinated him that such force could be one of the basis for survival yet had the power to destroy things as well.
Reply
Madame Monet, thanks a lot for all your comments and observations. Michelangelo was a show-off but he can show off the Moses and the David and the Slaves and the Medici tomb figures any old time as far as I’m concerned and I will be happily the fighter dvd shown-off to.
This copy of his cartoon was done by nobody in particular and so it can only be used to get an idea of the original. The Leonardo , though a copy of a copy of a copy, was done by no less an artist than Rubens, and looks like it. Michelangelo’s accumulation of nudes, which worked the fighter dvd on the Sistine wall, was probably a bad choice here. You’d think he would have been better off concentrating on just a few soldiers fighting, like big statues. Still, his cartoon was very much praised at the time and some of the best artists of Florence went to see and copy it and learn how to draw , as Vasari says.
Thanks, Moonbeam. I wonder which of my experiments you liked I guess this one, which has been there all night. I had tried three of my own headers and rejected the fighter dvd them one after another. Finally, in frustration, I clicked on this standard one. I think I ought to have one of my own making and will keep trying.
Yes, your new blog look is more visible, more easy to read, more pleasant. In the question who win the showdown I think we did… the fighter dvd I wonder if you spoke of the Michelangelo’s dislike of Leonardo CAUSE…A misunderstanding, as so often happens: one day, Leonardo was in a group of admirers and disc

No comments:

Post a Comment